Monday, October 9, 2017

Article Reflection

6 Tips for Teachers on Social Media in a Connected World


The concept of digital tattoo is still ringing in my ears, so I was drawn to this article about what we as educators should keep in mind while using social media.  The article discusses the hesitation many of us have about posting information online. There were six tips given to help educators as they decide what to and what not to post. The article also has a link that leads you to information about Connected Educators Month, which is in October.

The 6 Tips

1. "Don’t be afraid"-Social media is not going away and trying to avoid all social media, isn't all that practical. Know what you are posting and why.

2. "Only post things you wouldn’t mind showing up on the home page of your local newspaper… or the New York Times" --Use common sense on what to post and what not to post. If you wouldn't want your students and/or their families seeing the post, then don't. The focus of this tip is to be smart and think about what you are posting.

3. "Think long and hard about setting up a separate professional account or not"-As we have learned in Week #3 & 7, your PLN and digital tattoo give those who are looking at you, a visual of who you are, albeit the visual might not paint an accurate picture. Your current career and/or future career might be effected by the footprints you leave. Because of this, I did create a professional Facebook page and my Twitter account has only been used for professional reasons. 

4. "Post about your subject area, your school, your class, education and teaching in general, etc" - While using Facebook, I try to Like and Share educational topics that I find worthwhile and that shows others, that I am actively perusing to better my skills and those of my students. Posting information that gives a negative feel to it, will only hurt what my reputation as a professional. If I am having an issue with a colleague, posting that on my PLN is irresponsible and immature, and might hurt my chances of a future career move. Posting items to promote a school event, positive affirmations about my school and students, will show others that I respect those I work with.

5. "Boundaries still apply"- Be careful about confirming friend invites from students and families. Even if I wasn't directed not to do so by the Archdiocese of Chicago, I make a habit of not doing this. Teachers at my school sign a social media/technology document every year that states what we are allowed and not allowed to do as employees. If I need to communicate with a parent or student, I use email and Google Classroom for whole group announcements. I do not respond to emails from 5th and 6th grade students about homework after 7:30 P.M. If there is a time a student emails me about a assignment after that deadline and it is for an important reason, then I will respond, but I CC the parent.

6. "Make connections and grow your PLN"- With my new professional Facebook page, I intend to make connections with other professionals. What other way is there to get great ideas and suggestions for lessons and situations, than other educators? I learned this very quickly when I used Edmodo on a regular basis. I joined groups that would provide tips and resources for topics I wanted to improve or add to my classroom. Now I use G+ to search and join communities. I have met some wonderful educators and added more resources to my teacher toolbox. Reaching outside of my school has helped me to grow as an educator.

Extra Resources




3 comments:

  1. Karen,
    A lot of these points resonate with me. Point 1, I shouldn't pretend social media is going away if I just ignore it long enough. Point 4, there are plenty of things I can be active and engaged with online and still maintain relative personal privacy. And Point 5, particularly your comment about not emailing students after 7:30 PM. I never would have considered that, but you make a great point that even the time of our communications can be misconstrued or misinterpreted negatively. Professional communications should take place at a more professional hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my students first received student gmail accounts, I didn't have a time limit. This is when I noticed that the emails came later and later. I felt obligated to answer the emails because my students needed help. I felt uncomfortable contacting students late in the evening and wondered why are they starting their homework at 9:00 P.M., when they are 6th graders. This is when I decided to a handle on the situation and inform the parents and students about my responding cut off time.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for listing each tip and giving some personal reflections about each!

    ReplyDelete