Sunday, September 17, 2017

Blog #4--Active Learning

Quadblogging

When I visualize active learning, I picture a classroom with students engaged with each other, movement, noise, student led, and teacher as moderator.

By Metropolitan School - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, 

Not this!
In an active learning classroom, students not only take ownership of their learning, but they also assess and reflect on that learning. Real connections are made through experiences that help students to see the why a topic or concept is relevant. I want my students to grow up to be life-long learners, meaning helping my students develop a thirst for knowledge. As educators, we need to keep up the our ever changing world and to do so, we need to strengthen our own 21st century skills. I love it when a student asks a question and we take a moment to explore the answer using rich content, visuals, and audio.

Intro to Quadblogging
A wonderful concept, but teacher beware. After investigating what Quadblogging is, I would like to try it, but not from the web site. The idea of connecting with three other classrooms from anywhere in the world, sounds AMAZING! Even though using the website to start such an endeavor is on my--Don't try this at home kids--list, the concept behind blogging is worth looking into. I ended up following Nicole's advice and searching out my own group to connect with for my classroom. It is slow moving, but I think it will be worth the time. I hope to have an update soon. Here is my Padlet about Quadblogging.






This example was made by a team of two students using Adobe Spark. Each time took photos and searched for public domain images, created a storyboard, script, recorded, and edited using a variety of skills. I am so proud of my students for how they worked together to create a short video persuading (ad) for St. William School.


Examples and Resources
Blog Central                         Edutopia                 Join a Quadblog              Quadblog on Twitter

5 comments:

  1. Loved the resource page you shared! I like the idea of using padlet as an ongoing collaborative document. Like you said, it's much like sticky notes and I think I live and die by sticky notes. The interactive storytelling especially caught my eye. It'd be fun to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the resources page! To be honest, I used Padlet a few years ago, and like you I did not continue. I found it difficult at first to teach students and I also found it hard to control all of the students responses! I used it in a self-contained social studies and science classes. I used it on one activity and the students responses kept popping up all over the canvas on Padlet- it was hard to read them all and it looked semi sloppy. I agree that I will probably go back to using it again, though as a resource teacher that is often hard because I do not assign projects. It appears based on your blog that you are also a fan of active learning! I am glad to hear that your students our going to have more access to technology! Could help expand the active learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sloppy is a perfect name for what the screen looked like after the students were done making a Padlet, a few years ago. It was like organized chaos. Glad Padlet has worked out that aspect of their site.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for including the student sample. Adobe Spark is a great tool for students. Keep us posted on your Quadblogging adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I either keep hitting roadblocks or no response to my wanting to join a group.

      Delete